All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 cubemap help? 

Community Full Member
1555 Posts
minecraft avatar cavemans
Community  Full Member
Post cubemap help?
What do you do with the cubemaps thing i was told i had to type a command in it before and stuff but how do you actauly do it please tell me step by step and thanks :)

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:29 pm

Community Leader
460 Posts

3h
Community Leader
Post Re: cubemap help?
Hello. After you placed all your cubemaps, type buildcubemaps 1 in console. It will flash a bunch of what looks like pics of your map. When it's done textures that have reflective properties will now shine. For me it would only take effect after I build cubemaps and restart zps. So try that if you don't see any change at first.

Also cubemaps data can be packed with the map aswell. Just hit auto in packrat and it will get added. Building cubemaps is 1 of the last things you do for your map..... Hope this helps a little. :)

Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:47 pm

Community Full Member
1555 Posts
Community  Full Member
SpongeBob--DeathPants wrote:
Hello. After you placed all your cubemaps, type buildcubemaps 1 in console. It will flash a bunch of what looks like pics of your map. When it's done textures that have reflective properties will now shine. For me it would only take effect after I build cubemaps and restart zps. So try that if you don't see any change at first.

Also cubemaps data can be packed with the map aswell. Just hit auto in packrat and it will get added. Building cubemaps is 1 of the last things you do for your map..... Hope this helps a little. :)

k thanks sponge once again you come to the rescue! :D

Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Community Leader
460 Posts

3h
Community Leader
Anytime cavebuddy. I forgot to mention that the cubemaps should be placed at least 64 hammer units off the ground. Also should have 1 where ever lighting changes. Although you shouldn't go crazy with them. Can't just have 1 cubemap either. Specially if you have many reflective textures.

Reflective textures (as I understand it) use the closest cubemap to them to generate the image that is reflected off it's surface. Each cubemap makes 6 pics (top,bottom and 4 sides) that make the 360 degree image in the reflection. Not all reflective textures reflect 100% of the cubemaps image, Like they all aren't perfect mirrors, but they need em even for that extra little shine.

Also, I'm guessing that the reason we have to build cubemaps ourselves, has something to do with needing the map compiled first. So it can generate the pics of the finished map. Would look weird if it built cubemaps of how the map looked in the editor.

Well I rambled on long enough, good luck with your map. :)

Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:51 pm

Deathrow
1017 Posts
also its best to compile map in both LDR and HDR, depending upon what the server settings are.

to compile HDR in game: command "mat_hdr 1"
command "buildcubemaps"

switch to LDR: command "mat_hdr 0"
command "buildcubemaps"

this way you get both LDR and HDR to be present in game on servers, some allow both but others only want map to be LDR or HDR

Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:33 pm

Community Full Member
1555 Posts
Community  Full Member
why doesnt it automaticly do this after it compiles the maps?

Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:32 am

Deathrow
1017 Posts
Must be built while running in the engine.

Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]